COVERAGE: Check with your insurance provider about whether or not counselling services are covered by your plan. Often insurers will cover a certain amount of sessions with a Registered Social Worker (RSW), Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC), or Canadian Certified Counsellor (CCC).

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RCC and CCC: The requirements to become an RCC or a CCC is identical, the only difference being that RCC’s are part of a provincial association, whereas CCC’s are part of a national association. If your plan does not cover the services of a Canadian Certified Counsellor, please let me know and I can advocate for coverage through my professional association. 

Depending on your plan, the following insurance companies will cover counselling sessions with a Canadian Certified Counselor: 

  • Pacific Blue Cross

  • Equitable Life

  • Green Shield

  • Sun Life

CLAIMING CLINICAL SOCIAL WORK SERVICES: You can claim counselling from a Registered Social Worker as a medical expense on your income taxes. The BC College of Social Workers states that it should be claimed specifically under the term ‘clinical social work services’.